Dr Stuart Edser is a Counselling and Health Psychologist in Private Practice who has been working in Newcastle for many years. Prior to his career as a Psychologist, he had an extensive background in Education from Primary through to Tertiary. In 2009, after extensive renovation and refurbishment, he moved his Practice to a new site in the beautiful inner suburb of Lambton. The new site saw a new name, Newcastle Psychology & Health, and the opportunity to forge some new directions.
Areas of Practice
Dr Edser’s counselling practice brings an extremely varied clientele. He predominantly sees adults, but also sees adolescents and children from Year 7, and both individuals and couples.
Common areas of concern that he deals with on a daily basis are:
• anxiety including panic attacks, GAD, OCD, phobias, ASD, PTSD
• depression – unipolar and bipolar
• sexual dysfunctions
• sexual orientation issues
• traumatic stress
• smoking cessation
• weight loss
• work related issues
• counselling the GLBT community
Further to this, due to his expertise in Health Psychology, he regularly sees people with various health issues, including chronic and serious illness such as cancer, and he also offers palliative psychological care to those with terminal illness. A strong component of these endeavours includes deep relaxation techniques and pain management using clinical hypnosis. Outside of purely clinical work and since 2003, he has been involved as a lecturer, tutor and examiner at the University of Newcastle in teaching Counselling Skills for Sexual Issues to 3rd Year Medical students.
Dr Edser does not believe that a one-size-fits-all method of working with people is the best way to go. As a result, he has undertaken extensive training in using several key therapeutic styles and uses them individually and in combination according to best fit with each client.
These modalities consist of:
• Cognitive–Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
• Schema Focused Therapy (SFT)
• Clinical Hypnosis
• Grief Therapy
• Sex Therapy
• Mindfulness Meditation
Registration and Professional Associations
• Registration – Psychology Board of Australia (PSY0001219327)
• Health Insurance Commission – for clients under Medicare
• Member Australian Psychological Society (MAPS)
• Member APS specialist College of Counselling Psychologists
• Member Australian Society of Clinical Hypnotherapists (MASCH)
• Registered NSW Attorney-General Victims of Crime Tribunal
• Accredited Psychologist WorkCover Authority of NSW
Doctor of Philosophy PhD
Bachelor of Arts (Honours)(Psychology) BA (Hons)(Psych)
Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies Grad Dip Psych Stud
Master of Educational Studies M Ed Stud
Bachelor of Arts BA
Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy Dip Clin Hypnotherapy
Diploma in Education Dip Ed
Graduate Certificate in Language Education Grad Cert Lang Ed
Associate Trinity College London (Teacher-Piano) ATCL
Dr Edser is a published author and researcher in the Psychology literature, including both clinical and research papers. His PhD thesis was in the area of Psycho-Oncology examining self-help strategies as they pertained to longevity in those with a cancer diagnosis.
• Edser, S. J. (2002). Hypnotically-facilitated counter-conditioning of anticipatory nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy: A case study. The Australian Journal of Clinical Hypnotherapy and Hypnosis, 23, 1, 18-30.
• Edser, S. J., & Shea, J. D. (2002). An exploratory investigation of bisexual men in monogamous, heterosexual marriages. Journal of Bisexuality, 2, 4, 5-43.
• Edser, S. J. (2004). Hypnosis and the art of motorcycle mastery – counteracting limiting beliefs through hypnotically enhanced self-efficacy: A case study. The Australian Journal of Clinical Hypnotherapy and Hypnosis, 25, 1, 21-30.
• Edser, S. J., & May, C. G. (2007). Spiritual life after cancer: Connectedness and the will to meaning as an expression of self-help. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 25, 1, 67-85.
Life Outside Psychology
Dr Edser is an avid lover of music. He is a classically trained pianist and is a frequent concert-goer. He loves learning, continues to read widely and enjoys writing immensely. He is enthusiastic about exercise and keeping fit but is also a keen movie watcher. He is not ashamed to admit that he is a sci-fi buff and a fan of good television. He still maintains that the West Wing is hard to beat. He and his partner have been together since 2000 and they enjoy the company of their families and many friends.